Search This Blog

Feb 5, 2011

A Small Tribute to my Aunt

To die completely, a person must not only forget but be forgotten, and he who is not forgotten is not dead. -Samuel Butler

My Godmother, my protector, my friend and of course my Aunt.


If I could think of just one word to describe her I would say; kind. The type of person to lend a hand when times were tough or to simply lend an ear when you just needed to talk.
The last couple of years was hard. It felt like a little piece of me was taken away the day that she packed up and moved to Tennessee. A big transition for everyone and not an easy one at that. At first I did not understand why she wanted to leave. Over time I have come to terms with it. I now understand that she felt this was her calling and something she had to do. In her heart she believed that God put her there for a reason and it was in her best interest. Times were tough for her, expenses were high and Tennessee was a perfect fit.

I remember her weekend visits when I was growing up. I used to wait in anticipation to spend the day with my Aunt and my cousins. Me being an only child this was the highlight of my week. Sometimes her and my cousins would sleepover and this was especially fun for me. It was nice to have a full house on the weekends. Great quality family time. Even to this day I still miss those cherished visits with her. I miss the childhood stories of her and her sisters she would share. I miss the "boo boo" rides, watching her knit and listening to her poems. I miss the jokes, the laughs and of course I miss her loving smile.

Sometimes looking back I don't know how she dealt with me! I was difficult to say the least. Your everyday rebellious teen and of course the bratty only child. She had the patience of a a saint and honestly don't know how she kept her cool sometimes. I had the audacity to continue to test the waters. Pushing the limits to see how far I could bend them. Rarely did I get to that point where I did push the limit too for but thankfully the few times that I did she lovingly steered me back to the right direction. I thank her for doing her part and helping me become the woman that I am today.

I remember the first time I heard about her Breast Cancer. I knew all about this horrible disease but I did not think in a million years it would take away someone that I loved and held so close to my heart. Even though I do not completely understand the route she took to help her try to beat this ailment I know that in her heart this was the right way for her. Through out the entire battle she remained dedicated to her faith, and in very high hopes that all would work itself out. I know without a doubt in my mind that she now is with her creator and finally at peace.

When I was by her side in Tennessee during in April of 2010 I made my peace with the situation. Most importantly I made it very well known that I loved her. We never know how much time we will have with our loved ones. Sometimes you just have to swallow your pride and open up. Family is not about always agreeing. It's about working through the bad times together and coming back out stronger and closer than before you began.

All I wanted is for her to be happy and not to suffer or to be in pain. Although she is not here on earth she will always be in my heart. She is in a much better place and she is at peace. Missed and loved but never forgotten.

I love you Aunt Donna.

DONNA STAR LEWIS: 1959 - 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment